[UK-CONTEST] Are we allowed to operate above 7.200?

Gerry Lynch gerrylynch at freenetname.co.uk
Mon Oct 27 18:32:08 EDT 2008

Did I miss the bit where we and most of the rest of Europe seem to get
special permission to operate above 7.200 for the weekend of major contests?

Maybe I'm just being a moaner but it seemed to me that every time a
rare-ish multiplier appeared above 7.200 without listening down, a
steady stream of Eus would appear and start working them (and yes, that
includes G stations).

To be fair to the contest community, I didn't instantly recognise any of
the calls so it may have been casual participants rather than
contesters, but if you look at previous years' logs of Caribbean
multi-ops, you can see this didn't suddenly start happening this weekend.

I appreciate that it's easy to press the wrong button on the split
set-up when you've been without sleep for 30+ hours... I realise this
mainly because I've done it and been chewed out over it on the CDXC
reflector!  But there's a difference between doing that and wilfully
calling out of band because you feel like it.  Yes, it was frustrating
to hear ZM2M as a solid S8, absolutely in the clear on 7.235 or so
begging for QSOs but not listening down in our band, but hardly so
frustrating to make me want to intentionally transmit out of band.

73

Gerry GI0RTN