[UK-CONTEST] RSGB SSB FD -G2AS

Peter Day microwaves at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Sep 5 11:00:45 EDT 2008

Colin Wilson wrote:
> The Sheffield Amateur Radio Club is proud to announce our new callsign
> G2AS, it original owner was one of our founder members Howard Booth who
> sadly passed away in VK2 earlier this year aged 100.

FYI..

Howard's  VK call was VK2AMD (at Windang NSW). Many years ago he used to use a
rhombic antenna stretched across the beach, just over the sand dunes behind
his house. Some of you OTs will have worked him I'm sure :-). In later years
he went over to a 20m yagi and then a dipole as he neared the 100 year mark.
He was 100 in March this year. I visited him on May 13 and he was in good
spirit but sadly he fell down in his back yard the following day, broke his
hip and died about a week later after having a hip replacement. He was one of
the founders of the Sheffield Amateur Radio Club and did the same four times
over in NSW when he emigrated to VK in 1948.

They dont make 'em like him anymore these days!

Peter G3PHO
Sheffield