[UK-CONTEST] What is the best VHF Radio

G3RIR g3rir at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 7 15:21:10 EDT 2008

Earlier today I reported to a station on 144MHz that his signal was very
wide. I could hear splatter about 12kHz either side of his signal.

I turned off my mast-head pre-amp, switched in an attenuator and turned my
beam side on so that I only had s7 registered on my s-meter. The splatter
was still noticeable.

The station concerned said he was definitely not over-driving anything. He
asked what receiver I was using and on being told it was an FT847 he
suggested that it was my receiver at fault. This may of course be the
problem but he wasn't the only loud signal on the band but was by far the
widest.

What are the group members' views on the FT847 in handling such situations
and indeed what is the best receiver around for 144 and 432?

I am also interested to know what is the specified noise figure for the
FT847; of course the manual only refers to sensitivity!

Neil, G3RIR