[UK-CONTEST] Operation in the Beacon Band

Jiri Culak Jiri.Culak at lwss.co.uk
Fri Sep 12 20:26:52 EDT 2008

Hello guys

This problem is not only tight to VHF operations. I do remember having
sked on 80m right after lunchtime with OK2RZ to see if we can exchange
reports fully in daylight (middle of day) with distance in excess of
1000 miles. (Jiri is running 5el full size WIRE YAGI and I was using 4
SQ and 200W from FT1000D) and we agreed QRG and time and waited. On QRG
there was UK net at minute before sked I breaked in  and politely (very
politely) asked if I can used QRG just to put quick call out and QSY
elsewhere and explained I got sked with station on border of OK/OM. I
got answer from G3 that there is no need for that as if my friend will
actually hear something (unlikely by them) he will understand and look
for me elsewhere. When I said I am beaming to east they said I am making
things up because there are no such a things as directional gain
antennas on 80m. at the end I heard Jiri calling and I went over group
and just said new QRG and we managed, but I felt a bit sad, that even
with very polite question and proper explanation, fully licensed fellow
hams were not willing to give me single minute of their time to do
experiment.

This show that it is not always down to M3/2E license holders to not
behave within ham spirit and you can bump into "the different ones".

This is not only UK problem and I had lot of problems on 10m in OK2
where CBier who was getting wiped out when we did serious 10m entries (7
systems,QRO from 650m ASL) he decided hi will follow us and jam. I know
you encountered similar stuff on HF too.

To be honest, every time I got call from M3,2E on 2m and feel that they
are thrilled to bits to work like 500-600k, I am sending QSL and I am
happy to chat about what I run, what the band is like, what I worked and
where to beam and what to listen for. This is the way to support and
lead and it does make me feel good. (It must make feel good everyone)

Anyway, I found some links where English is used too and I thought you
might like to take a look how is contesting done in the middle of
Europe.

OL4A: http://www.ol4a.org/

OM6A (OM30KHE) http://www.om3khe.cq.sk/?lng=en

VHF IARU1
2008:http://www.om3khe.cq.sk/plugins/diaporama/diaporama.php?lng=en&diap
o_id=25

VHFContest Website:
http://www.vhfcontest.net/index.php?kat=main&zavod=&lang=eng

where you can upload logs and participate with checklog and see how you
did compared to most of Europeans fellow ops. You can create online QSO
maps, statistic ets. REG1TEST id file format acceptable.

Very good logger devoted to just VHF/UHF/Microwave (I have got more up
to date database) and it got both Czech and English interface:

http://ok1khq.vysokemyto.cz/util/loc1223.exe

73 All

Jiri

> Of course bandplans are a gentleman's agreement and therefore does not
apply

> to these people.

Hence my comment earlier that there's some sense in the American system

where operation in compliance with the band plan is a licence

condition.  I'm not actually sure more legislation is what I want to see

though.. I had enough of a time explaining why there are so many rules

and restrictions to the XYL.....

>  Whatever has happened to the 'amateur spirit'?

I think it's still alive for the majority.   Ne te confundant

illegitimati, as they say.

(Don't let the ba****ds get you down).

Andy 2E0XAC, exploring the fine line between wine connoisseur and

drunkard after a long hard week (with a rather fine Aussie Shiraz if you

must know) this evening.

UK-Contest at contesting.com

http://www.star.net.uk

11/09/2008 18:55