[UK-CONTEST] Fw: SWL A numbers

Steve Knowles g3ufy at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Sep 16 17:19:17 EDT 2008

Never had an A-number, though several of my friends did.  As a schoolboy, I
had no funds of my own and parents, though supportive, were 'careful'.  They
paid for my RAE course and exam fees etc, but would not stump up for RSGB
until the licence dropped through the door!  Guess they thought it was just
another fad !!
My first QSO was with Andorra on 40m CW (the prefix was PX4 in those days -
and he didn't QSL) using my modified 19-Set and a bit of bent wire.  I never
dreamt, then, that forty-three years downstream I would still be waiting for
QSO No. 2 with that country!

73

Steve  G3UFY