[UK-CONTEST] ROPOCO-The furure

David, G3YYD g3yyd at btinternet.com
Mon Aug 3 04:39:19 PDT 2009

Some observations.

ROPOCO is a single mode contest on Sunday morning. The CC and Sprint are
multi-mode and weekday evenings. It is like comparing chalk and cheese

QRM to other band users: Total QSO count on ROPOCO must be about 2500 in
the CW segment spread over 60 minutes (everyone has worked everyone else
by then). That is an average of 32 QSOs a minute on a 200Hz bandwidth
mode does not take up much of the band. Or with 60 entrants at 500Hz
spacing all calling CQ at the same time that is only 30KHz. Compare that
with CC or Sprint evening SSB then ROPOCO is not going to cause much QRM
to normal band users, which CC and Sprint do and cause a lot of QRM for
other band users. QRM to others is not a problem with ROPOCO so it can
be held at any time and any day of the week.

Propagation at the moment for inter-G/GI/GM/GW working is better around
sunset or sunrise. Taking into account most peoples sleep pattern, which
is to rise after sunrise (in August) and go to sleep after sunset an
evening contest would be a better bet. This suggests for the August
ROPOCO that 1900 to 2100z would be better for both operators and
propagation. A similar argument would produce an earlier time 1800 to
2000z for the April ROPOCO as Sunset is earlier in April.

As for which day of the week, I leave others to argue that one, but
Sunday evening is probably as good as any.

David G3YYD

>>> GW3NJW