[UK-CONTEST] 80m CCs : tracking your club\'s activity (typocorrected!)

g3ory at lineone.net g3ory at lineone.net
Thu Aug 13 03:02:57 PDT 2009

Guys,

Could I make a couple of comments about the present debate regarding
the rules for the 80m CC. The words 'baby' and 'bathwater' come to mind
here.

1. If the rules are changed to make the contest rules much more
similar to the AFS contests (4 per team, 50 mile rule etc etc) then the
same Clubs will win both contests. Lichfield have done phenomenally
well for many years in AFS with these rules in place.  The 80m CC has
always been won by other Clubs and I feel this is no bad thing.

2. In my view the unlimited team numbers is a brilliant concept for
one simple reason. You can imagine the scene down at the local Club as
you struggle to get a team together. You approach a member who has a
decent sized garden and a good aerial for 80. If AFS rules applied, he
could say to you "Ah, no, Buggins is a far better operator than me, he
would be a much better member for the Club team".  With the rules as
they are you can say to him "Come on Fred - every QSO counts. Just come
on the air, work half a dozen stations and bang in an entry. I will
sort out the entry for you if you let me have the details". It is the
way in which peer pressure can be brought to bear within the Club
(whatever its size),  which is the keystone of the present rules and
the runaway success of the format.  Hence my point about the baby and
the bathwater.

73 Bob
G3ORY

Do
>> they think it is ok for Three As (and other contest clubs) to
recruit in
>> this way?
>
>Well as one of the little sprats.....
>
>I must say I have been disheartened by the negative response to
Dave's

Get away from it all with Tiscali Travel -  http://www.tiscali.co.uk/travel