[UK-CONTEST] UK/US licensing (Off Topic)

Bob Henderson bob at 5b4agn.net
Sun Aug 23 01:47:51 PDT 2009

2009/8/23 Ed -- GW3SQX <g3sqx at edtaylor.org> wrote:

> Re: UK/US licensing
>
> (clip)

> As has been stated, the current system does focus on access for ordinary
> candidates, but the so-called barriers against the knowledgeable are there
> for a good reason, and are pretty low as barriers go.  The way in which
> many of us entered the hobby (get a receiver, become an SWL, study/RAE
> course, exam) was no longer being followed.  Generally, any member
> of the public who had heard of Amateur Radio -- and there were very
> few in the 1990s -- would go straight on to an RAE course, and then
> get a Class B licence, with a shack-on-a-belt.  It was thought that a
> compulsory practical element must be introduced into the system,
> including some HF operation, to illustrate what the majority of us do.

Ed

My point is this:

For a well qualified individual the barriers are technically very low.  I
believe I described them as "trivial".  However, the time which needs to be
set aside to jump through these trivial hoops is unlikely to be considered
trivial by a busy professional, making the barrier real enough.

The system might be improved by providing a fast track route into the hobby
for those with the capacity to take advantage of it.  Though I guess you
might disagree if you feel we are better off without them.  The facility to
complete all US exams in a single sitting substantially addresses this.

It is true that many entered the hobby via the SWL route but this was never
a requirement.  It was possible under the C&G system to book an exam, sit it
successfully, apply for a license and be granted one.  No receiver, no
SWLing, no RAE classes.  I know several G8 licensees endowed with an
impressive array of technical talent who did exactly this.  Several have
hardly operated a radio since gaining their license but have nonetheless
maintained a keen interest in RF technology.  In some cases they have gone
on to have very distinguished careers in the field.  Those known to me have
retained a healthy respect for amateur radio and support it faithfully.  I
value the support the hobby gains from such individuals.  What about you?

The class B license was introduced so that those more interested in RF
technology than "on air" communication might have a route to enter the
hobby.  There can be little doubt the hobby benefited very significantly
from their participation.  Those with the power to influence the mechanisms
governing entry to our great hobby would serve it well by addressing
themselves to the failure of the current system to provide a welcoming path
to such people.

I have heard many tales recounted and read letters in Radcom relating
incidents in which those amply qualified to contribute to our hobby have
been frustrated by the need for time consuming attention to the trivial.
There is a danger these people walk away from amateur radio their perception
of our hobby having itself been trivialised.  Just how can this be good for
amateur radio?

Bob, 5B4AGN