[UK-CONTEST] UK/US licensing (Off Topic)

Don Beattie g3ozf at btinternet.com
Sun Aug 23 04:28:05 PDT 2009

(clip)

Bob Henderson wrote

> I have heard many tales recounted and read letters in Radcom relating
> incidents in which those amply qualified to contribute to our hobby have
> been frustrated by the need for time consuming attention to the trivial.
> There is a danger these people walk away from amateur radio their
> perception
> of our hobby having itself been trivialised.  Just how can this be good
> for
> amateur radio?

Bob (and everyone)

Having been mentioned in Ed, G3SQX's posting as one of the people behind the
current licensing structure, let me comment.

When we were all discussing what to do about licensing in the late '90s, it
was against a background of the demise of C&G, dwindling input into the
hobby (throughput in the exams had dropped 90% over the previous ten years,
I recall) and concerns about the way in which it was possible to obtain a
licence and yet not be competent to operate (the days of SWLing having
generally gone). The then "Novice" licence had had limited success, because
of the very few bands it gave access to, and overall the whole thing was
going downhill fast.  There were those who said "So what ?. Don't "dumb
down" amateur radio - let it die gracefully". I'm afraid I could not accept
that laissez-faire attitude and believed that walking away from the problem
would not work.

RSGB took the view that in the 21st century, obligatory Morse for HF
privileges would be very hard to justify. This then flushed out those who
said that would be the end of amateur radio, and certainly of CW. ( Has
anyone seen the numbers in CW contests these days ? Hardly the death
throes.)

We had at that time good relations with the Radiocommunications Agency (now
part of Ofcom) and had some sensible discussions about options. We all felt
that an "incentive" licensing system was needed - one that give more
privileges for higher technical skill. But what we all agreed was that the
initial entry barrier to the hobby needed to be set so as to attract new
people without a lengthy and tortuous process. A "licence in a weekend" was
one of the objectives, as was a mandatory practical element. I took the view
that getting on the air was a little like an addiction - once you were
hooked, you would want to progress. Fortunately there is now evidence that
this has validity, and progression from Foundation to Intermediate to Full
is happening. Even more importantly, by most measures, the Foundation
licence has worked in drawing many thousands of newcomers into the hobby.

One thing that was a matter of some disagreement between the RA and the RSGB
was how many levels of licence there should be. The RA was clear that it
should be three. Some in RSGB felt this was over-complex, and a two-level
structure would suffice, by re-engineering the old Novice to be the
Foundation (with greater privileges) and then the Full. The RA view
prevailed. We all agreed that extra demands should be placed into the "Full"
licence syllabus in the area of EMC, given the increasingly difficult issues
of co-existence between QRO amateur stations and domestic electronic
equipment.

At the same time the WRC was happening which removed the requirement in
Article 25 of the Radio Regs for CW competence on HF.

This all came together into the structure we know now. This has benefited UK
amateur radio and many clubs - those who have risen to the challenge of
mounting the necessary training courses. We now have much greater
opportunity for newcomers to take examinations for licences when they like,
and where they like.

Whilst I understand the concerns of those who feel the current arrangements
might be over-burdensome for a few with good technical qualifications,
please don't forget that we set out to achieve not only a graded set of
technical quals, but also requirements to prove practical skills, both in
construction and operating. I firmly believe this is right, and it is not a
"given" that sound technologists have the skills to properly operate amateur
radio, without some training. There is also the issue of the amateur
radio-specific elements of the theoretical exams, which would need to be
covered somehow.

So we have the issue of how/whether to create "by-pass routes" for some with
pre-existing qualifications. And this for a "minority" activity as far as
Ofcom is concerned, where investment of time and resources is very limited.

Personally I would simply take the view that if someone is keen enough on
amateur radio and already possesses the technical skills, it is not a lot to
ask for them to sit the practical, and then sequentially three exams. At the
HFC (sorry, convention) for example, I think all three are normally
available. I do not believe we should drop the principle of mandatory
practicals, and I do not believe the potential volume of candidates
justifies investment of time in creating technical "by-pass routes" for the
few (which could not be totally eliminating the requirement to prove
competence in all aspects of the syllabus for the reason above).

I hope this does not sound defensive. I am trying to be realistic, given the
numbers, and the amount of time and resource available to develop new
structures.

73

Don, G3BJ
(Shortly to be FO/G3BJ (Australs)  and ZK2BJ)