[UK-CONTEST] UK/US licensing (Off Topic)

Bob Henderson bob at 5b4agn.net
Sun Aug 23 06:00:50 PDT 2009

Don

Thank you for your detailed response, which I much appreciate.  I understand
the current system was predicated upon a need to maintain numbers in the
interests of survival but our needs go beyond mere numbers.  I have no doubt
you have many times faced situations in which justification based upon
criteria other than raw volume was appropriate.  We face such a situation.

Amateur radio needs friends and supporters.  It needs ambassadors.  The
assertion that anyone in possession adequate skill and enthusiasm will
tolerate the system, is flawed.  Had amateur radio no need of talented
supporters and ambassadors, we could afford to bar candidates at the gate.
Alas, we are under seige.  We need friends, supporters and ambassadors if we
are to survive at all.

We would better serve our interests by encouraging the talented minority
rather than shunning them.

73

Bob, 5B4AGN

PS I gave the Compaq Mini a thorough work out during WAE CW.  It worked a
treat.  I have ideas to take it travelling.  I look forward to hearing you
on your Pacific jaunt.