[UK-CONTEST] December 432MHz UKAC

Ray James gm4cxm at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 9 15:28:27 PST 2009

--- On Wed, 9/12/09, Rob Harrison <robharrison at g8hgn.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> Ray,
> What a shame, you'd be only the 3rd GM from here in 24
> years operation from this location on 432.

That is a VERY long time to wait Rob.

My old friend Ken G8VR in Margate, now SK,  mentioned similar when we started to work on a regular basis on 1296MHz.

The greatest change that occurred since his previous contacts was the invention of the internet. This in time brought about the development of numerous attributes including DX-Cluster and the ON4KST chatroom that contributes so much to enabling VHF, UHF and Microwave path tests to be conducted. Ken and I met up as often as possible on 'KST in the mornings when he was well enough to operate and thanks to 'KST we were able to arrange a schedule, frequency and transmission/reception periods and conduct contact attempts over the air, the majority being successful.

The RSGB Contest Committee unilaterally banned the use of the cluster and 'KST for contest use below 23cm a couple of years ago, in fact the contest calendar had already started when this decision was made. The reason given was "abuse" but nothing was ever provided as proof and contest operators and groups in the UK searched and came to the conclusion it was unfounded. Day in, day out, even as I write, VHF+ operators are arranging schedules to attempt a contact, yet during a contest UK operators who enter an RSGB (not IARU) contest are barred from schedule making. I'm totally against anyone abusing the system and strongly believe those found doing so should be disqualified, as simple as that.
One of the most damming effects of that ban effected UK stations remotest from the centres of activity with no chance of seriously competing to win but at least putting their investment into a station to worthwhile use.
Had Rob been able to use 'KST then I'm sure we'd have made contact and with all QSO information passed on 432MHz.

Vienna 2010 is the crux meeting.
REF, the French society are proposing an IARU Reg 1 ban and using the RSGB CC rules as an example. It is with great relief that other societies have produced much more sensible proposals, allowing schedules but banning any information exchange "off air" and "self spotting" in IARU and IARU member organised contests.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that both the REF and RSGB positions get shafted and common sense prevails.

73 Ray GM4CXM