[UK-CONTEST] Death to the cluster!

Steve Wilson, G3VMW steve at g3vmw.demon.co.uk
Fri Dec 11 07:20:57 PST 2009

"Paul O'Kane" <pokane at ei5di.com> writes:

 >The question is whether all new technologies (for want of a better
 >description) are appropriate in the context of contesting. Your agument
 >seems to be they are - simply because they exist.

I don't want to take up much more bandwidth with what effectively just
becomes a difference of opinion between us. In the end, I guess we'll
have to agree to differ?

However, just a few final comments:

You said: "If PacketCluster is appropriate, why has the telephone system
never been?"

Whether PacketCluster is appropriate or not wasn't my decision, but
since it is allowable, I use the facility. Why I think the telephone
system isn't appropriate can perhaps be answered by an example:

A well-known Belgian amateur was in the habit of ringing people up he
had worked on HF to set up skeds for rare multipliers in the CQWW 160m
Contest. This was how he achieved very high scores and "won" the contest
several times in the 1990s. It was quite obviously cheating and not
allowable in the rules.

As a postscript to this little tale. In the CQWW 160m contest, the year
after ONxxx was "exposed" as a blatant cheat, I believe several very
loud pirate ONxxx stations using his callsign were QRV simultaneously
for many hours and effectively blew away his chances of repeating the
feat.

 >> Things evolve, we have to do likewise. The alternative
 >> is to spend our last days as grumpy old men.

 >And when all else fails, get personal?  In any case, your're only half
 >right, I'm not old :-)

It wasn't meant as a personal comment to you specifically, but more a
general observation of some of the comments about CW contesting I read
on the Reflector by some of our more venerable contributors.

For example, some folks don't like cut numbers in reports like dit,
dah-dit, dah-dit, or speeded up 599 reports, or "dit dit" instead of
"TU" to end a QSO or the habit of not sending a callsign at the end of
every contest QSO.

I'm pretty sure that you've read the complaints on the Reflector from
some respected, long-established contesters e.g. "not the right
procedure old chap", "quite wrong", "totally unnecessary", "wasn't done
in my day", etc.

There are plenty of things I'm personally not mad keen on, especially a
couple of the practices listed above. However, if that's the way the art
of contesting is evolving, I'll use that method if it helps improve the
score. That was the point I was trying to make.

Steve Wilson, G3VMW
Bramham, Wetherby, West Yorkshire