[UK-CONTEST] propagation SSB CC

Don Beattie g3ozf at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 3 06:23:12 EST 2009

Yes, I too was puzzled, Malcolm. I was running my dipole at about 55 ft, and
found it really hard going here in Shropshire. I was kept pretty busy, but
with a lousy channel - I know there were callers I could not copy - and yet
by the end of the contest I was some 40 QSOs below the leaders. I think most
of these were in the South-East, so wonder if a relatively high density of
"local" stations helps in this contest ? It was noticeable that the Eu
stations (DJ and beyond) were very strong, but (for me) few in number. So
yes, skip was long, I think, and high-angle absorption was high.

Ended up with 132, but a real struggle to emulate the leaders.

73

Don, G3BJ