[UK-CONTEST] Fw: Redundant contest reports?(SSB CC(and other80mcontests))

G3VDB (Jim) jimevans at g3vdb.com
Fri Feb 6 05:08:17 EST 2009

Slightly off topic ...

The PSK community has tried to introduce RSQ with Quality 1, 3, 5, 7, 9
defined wrt the number and strength of spurious sidebands showing on the
waterfall, an indication of the orginator's (lack of) understanding of how
to drive a sideband transmitter with audio and maintain linearity.

Giving anything than 599 is usually a good way to have a very short QSO.
There are plenty of Q1 signals on the bands with a (PSK31) width of 200 -
300 Hz instead of < 50Hz and probably only just above 50 - 70% of sigs are
truly Q9.

Many have changed their macros from RST to RSQ and still programmed in 599.
[I did at first as I thought it was the done thing] My first 597 report
caused me to google RSQ, find the web-site, read the official definition and
re-evaluate my tx set up. So it can work.

See you (literally and hopefully, narrowly) in the Data CC next week :-))

Jim
G3VDB