[UK-CONTEST] Contest Reports

Paul O'Kane pokane at ei5di.com
Fri Feb 6 12:11:28 EST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ray Hills" <g3hrh at btinternet.com>

> I am pretty convinced that the regular (and increasing) use
> of 59 or 599 is largely due to the widespread and growing
> use of software logging.

Contest logging by computer is little more than 20 years old,
whereas the widespread use of 59(9), in major HF contests, is
at least 30 years old.

It's true, however, that 59(9) is almost universal now in
HF contests, and much of that is due to logging software,
for the simple reason that the sofware defaults to, and
inserts, 59(9).  It saves time to accept the default.

That's largely why reports are redundant in HF contests.
For all practical purposes, they are always 59(9).  In turn,
they are not worth cross-checking.

> I may be wrong but I think that both SD and MMTTY - and
> possibly Logger32 - all have such limitations.

SD has no such limitations :-)  It is simple.  Use the RST
command to open up a new "RST Sent" column. By pressing Enter,
you are taken to each field in turn.

For anyone brave enough, the RANDOM command assigns random
values between 339 and 599 for RST Sent - and is integrated
with the log and the keyer.  Maybe this should be mandatory
for 80m CC?

73,
Paul EI5DI