[UK-CONTEST] Redundant contest reports

Andy Swiffin a.l.swiffin at dundee.ac.uk
Mon Feb 9 03:57:53 EST 2009

"Peter Hobbs" <peter at tilgate.co.uk> wrote:

> And you do realise that every change means an up-issue for the loggers.  At
> least support for RST is built-in, as Paul says.

I wish the folks writing loggers would split out the data from the program.  It surely is bad practice to hard code the format of the contest exchanges (data) into the program code.   It wouldn't take much to come up with a sort of scripting language that you would enter the format of the exchange in in a separate data file that is parsed at startup by the logging program,  you would need to have a good look at all the existing contests and then use a bit of imagination as to what else you might also find in the future and then create it as a rule set.     I know SD goes part way towards this (give yourself a pat on the back Paul) but I'm thinking of having the whole of the exchange flow as data.   That way we wouldn't have to wait for the developers to release a whole new version just when there are exchange changes or a new contest as you have to with  N1MM.

I hope the folks writing this new logger have considered this.

73
Andy
gm8oeg

The University of Dundee is a registered Scottish charity, No: SC015096