[UK-CONTEST] Quest for QRO

Ian White GM3SEK gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk
Mon Feb 23 10:07:29 EST 2009

Paul O'Kane wrote:
> [...]

It all made complete sense in the early days of SSB because people would
typically be using completely different transmitters.

The old AM/CW transmitter would have been designed for 150W DC input,
typically to a pair of 807s or a single 813 in class C. This produced
about 100W carrier output, and needed an equally large push-pull
modulator to reach 400W PEP on AM. The other transmitter was the new SSB
exciter (probably home built) which needed a much larger linear
amplifier to reach 400W PEP output.

So although we had a two-level power limit of 100W output (effectively)
on CW and 400W PEP output on both AM and SSB, there wasn't any sense of
"turning down the power" in those early days. That is a much more modern
perception, because...

What nobody anticipated was the rise of the all-mode transceiver. With
its all-mode exciter and exclusively linear PA, such a transmitter
generates essentially the *same* PEP output on all modes. That was when
the two-level power limit stopped making sense.

Most amateurs started out with a barefoot "100W" transceiver, where it
was perfectly legal to flick the mode switch from SSB to CW and continue
at the same PEP. When they added a 400W linear amplifier, large numbers
of amateurs (to my certain knowledge) continued to do exactly the same.
It wasn't that they were deliberately breaking the licence conditions,
they didn't even realise there *was* an issue.

It's hard to blame anyone for that, because the regulations didn't make
any technical sense, except for historical reasons.

This situation persisted for many years, with both the licensing
authorities and RSGB studiously ignoring this widespread lack of
compliance, like ignoring the proverbial "elephant in the room". When
all modes were eventually rounded up to 400W PEP output in the licence,
nothing happened in the real world because it only legitimised what most
people had already been doing.

And without a single word being said, everyone agreed that the elephant
had gone away.

> we were laughing all the way to our linear amps  :-)

Please, no!  We still don't talk about the *other* elephant.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK