[UK-CONTEST] Portable Antenna - 5B4

Richard Newstead g3cwi at btconnect.com
Fri Jan 2 16:09:06 EST 2009

Terry

It is hard to give any suggestions without some more details. However,
the easiest might well be an inverted L using the rod out nearly
horizontal with a wire dropped down off the end. I have used a fishing
weight (sinker) as a weight but always wrap it in self amalgamating tape
to make it less likely to break anything. Feed the aerial against
radials in the apartment. This configuration is problematic in windy
weather of course. I have had success with such an arrangement -
including from a very tall hotel in central London. Other options may
include a wire "cast" into a tree or sloping wires with fishing line
insulators (drawing pins are very useful for fastening the ends). Use
thin wire (enamelled copper is useful) if you need to keep it invisible
- take enough to chuck it away if it gets too tangled.

I have had lots of fun with "covert" portable aerials from hotels in the
past.

Leave the Buddipole in its box so you get the best price when you get
rid of it on ebay.

73

Richard
G3CWI