[UK-CONTEST] Switching between AFSK/FSK and PSK

G3VDB (Jim) jimevans at g3vdb.com
Wed Jan 7 10:57:20 EST 2009

Hi John,

I will be trying out Ham Radio Deluxe plus DM780 (Digital Master 780) a free
program at:

www.ham-radio-deluxe.com/

Been using it for about 15 months but not in "serious" contests, just
dabbling.

I have no experience of other programs so cannot compare but this is a
_very_ rich Windows based CAT control and Data Mode program with sound card
generation of RTTY and all PSK modes (as well as _many_ others not of
interest here). [AFAIK it does not control a rig's FSK RTTY mode, though
that is not of interest to me].

Mode switching is a simple select from a drop down list or a button click
depending on tool-bar configuration.

Like all rich programs it has a steep learning curve to set up the
interfaces, macros, logging etc to your liking and to just get used to
clicking the right button  at the right time. A disadvantage for some is it
requires a reasonably modern fast Windows PC with a good amount of memory [I
would recommend 1.5GHz and 512MB of memory minimum - more on both counts for
some of its modes and features (superbrowser and Olivia!). It will not work
on Windows 98, Windows 2000 is the minimum. XP is used by most people].

It has potentially controversial features for PSK which could be compared to
CW skimmer, which are, I guess, not usuable within the CC rules.

Whatever you use, good luck!

Jim
G3VDB