[UK-CONTEST] Hardline query (M0XDF)

Darrell G0HVQ g0hvq at talktalk.net
Thu Jan 8 12:51:53 EST 2009

Cris makes some very valid points.

I did done calcs on my setup and was surprised that the cable attenuation
figures were so high, as I was getting plenty of QSOs. So I went out into
the field and did some measurements. I'm using LDF5-50 to the VHF mast and
some smaller hardline out to the HF vertical, both approx 150ft runs.

On 2m, I'm losing 50% power, not that surprising

But down on HF there is still significant attenuation e.g. for 100W in,
approx 65W on 10m, 80W on 20m, and even only 90W on 40m.

I reckon a lot of us hams choose to ignore cable/connector attentuation, I
certainly did for my first 20 years in the hobby.

If you ask around, you can normally get secondhand Heliax cheap (I did) as
it's a pain to work with, hard to get rid of and connectors cost a fortune.

73
Darrell G0HVQ