[UK-CONTEST] Cables

Tony Roskilly g3zrj.morsekey at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 12 04:15:40 EST 2009

Hi All,

One aspect that hasn't been mentioned is cost,  unless you have very deep
pockets, Heliax and even some of the more classy coax can soon get
horrendously expensive.

I have do my radio on a very tight shoestring indeed and it has forced me to
experiment with various versions of twin feeder.   After a lot of fiddling
around, I now use homebrew twin,  the wire is domestic mains multistrand
cable,  (less than a tenner for 100M) and insulators made from narrow bore
white water pipe, which costs about a tenner for enough to make a lot of
feeder with spacing of about 3 feet between insulators.  This material may
not be perfect and I'm sure there are others out there that are have better
RF propeties but it is cheap and easily avialable.  I use a spacing of 4
inches, merely because that seems to be a reasonable comprimise between
losses when ice and snow covered and making the feeder less manageable to
use.   I have also used this configuration for the elements of my 80M folded
dipole with great success.

Unless my antenna theory from College days back in the late 60s is wrong,
the actual impedance of open wire feeder shouldn't matter than much unless
you are feeding an antenna of the same characteristic impedance from a
source with the same output impedance so I'd say go for a reasonable
distance between the wires and use cheap and cheerful insulated multistrand
domestic wire which is available just about anywhere.

I heartily endorse the comments about the black "450 Ohm" stuff,  a) it gets
lossy in the wet b) the stuff I bought had copperweld type wire which goes
rusty should anything nick the insulation c) its very expensive compared to
superior home-brewed twin.
The 300 Ohm slotted stuff isn't much good and of course the 300 Ohm solid is
only good for holding up plants in the garden.

Can confirm re very long open wire feeder runs at commercial and government
stations, the old HF point to point station at Somerton had very long open
wire runs, at Portishead Radio RX site (prior to remoting from Somerton) all
but the vertical dipoles which were close to the building, were run on open
wires, a Govt station I worked at had some Rhombics with literally over a
mile of twin feeder.    I would guestimate the impedance of the twin feeder
at these stations to be 600 to 800 Ohms, but I was on the operating side not
the tech so it is a guestimate.

Vy 73
  Tony G3ZRJ