[UK-CONTEST] AFS

Bob Henderson bob at 5b4agn.net
Mon Jan 12 05:19:31 EST 2009

Many thanks for the contacts during AFS.  I had a lot of fun chasing you
guys around the band.

I found conditions over the distance very good.  Though nothing was
heard until 1457 when we reached grey-line.  Clive, GM3POI was the
first.  Not surprising, as the most northerly Clive reaches grey-line
ahead of everyone else.  It was then over 20 minutes before I
heard/worked another station.  This rather more surprisingly was Alan,
G4DJX who being in the deep south must have still been in broad daylight.

Much HA activity during the 2nd hour was cause of quite a lot of QRM.
Many stations calling CQ OB.

The last two hours produced a host of outstanding UK signals.

I used an inverted vee dipole broadside at a height of 20m and a pair of
end fire phased 1/4 wave verticals.  Most signals were about 6dB
stronger on the phased verts but the noise level was about 10dB higher.

In all, 82 UK stations were worked during the event.

Bob, 5B4AGN