[UK-CONTEST] Speed changes in AFS

Roger Cooke g3ldi at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 12 09:39:42 EST 2009

Hi.

  I read Ian's comments about new operators and speed with interest. It is bad operating on the part of the other station normally Ian. It IS very easy to slow down the speed from the keyboard, no problem at all. Not only that, but if I am sending at around 28 wpm, the average contest speed in the UK, my serial number will be sent slower than that anyway, as this can be set in the macro, just as you will hear the ubiquitous and redundant 599 sent at around 50 wpm and TEST and the end of a CQ sent about the same speed. Nothing wrong with that because that is not part of the exchange.

  What I found frustrating was after I had issued my exchange to the other station, instead of a simple R, I get QSL G3LDI XXX   These are what I have just sent, so why do I have to receive them again! Grrr.

  If I go up into the QRS Corral, I slow down to what I find there, but I normally find experienced ops looking for an easy clear freq on which to work!  But it does help the newcomer a lot if we all slow down to his speed to encourage him.

  I would like to know if there were any SO2R ops in the AFS? If so, is it now about time we had another section for those? I got clobbered a couple of times after finding a "clear" freq, starting a QSO, only to find a station calling CQ when I listened for my exchange.

Regards from Roger, G3LDI
Swardeston, Norfolk.