[UK-CONTEST] AFS G4RCG Claimed Score

QUENTIN COLLIER q.g.collier at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 13 05:15:52 EST 2009

Good show John...well, I'll pitch in too then......was operating from the QTH of the late Harry Bellfield G3SBV down in Kent (my own antenna at home being far too small to be competitive) - blew up the bias supply on my linear while tuning up and, with 5 minutes to go, had to link my setup into Harry's linear, auto ATU etc, which was fortunately still in place. Despite somehow cutting my head and having blood dripping down (no hair to act as a wick) I was on only 4 minutes late and still managed to get a frequency. 279 QSOs but 4 dupes and one otherwise mangled, so 274 scoring contacts. Held the run frequency until 1725 (very like John's experience) despite a battle with an HA in the second hour, then off to S&P which wasn't too effective. IC7800 performed well but it doesn't have that lovely "clean" sound that I got from the Orion. Lots of GMs, quite a few Europeans, plus a ZC4, UA9 and (of course) 5B4AGN.

Then 50 mile drive home and a well deserved pint with Steve UFY!

73,

Quin G3WRR