[UK-CONTEST] Beta Testers Wanted

G3VDB (Jim) jimevans at g3vdb.com
Wed Jan 14 03:38:56 EST 2009

Hi Ian,

James mentions VB.NET development (aka dotNet) which was (initially) very
specific to Windows (but a wonderfully rich and rapid environment for the
developer). So the initial reaction for Linux users is one of
disappointment.

However, there is the Mono Project http://mono-project.com/ which allows
dotNet programs to run on Linux graphical desktops (and Mac?); when I last
looked (2 years ago) this was very incomplete and in its infancy, but it is
supported by Novell so it appears to have potential

dotNet (dotNet Framework) is now in its fourth interation; Mono is at
version 2.0.1 corresponding to dotNet Framework 2 which was released in
2005.

So provided James has not used the later / latest techniques (dotNet
Framework 3 - framework 4 is too new for anyone!), there is some hope.

But you don't add an extra unknown environment like Mono to testing a Beta
version of a program, so any testing with Linux will have to be secondary.
[In my experience, the core components of these cross platform environments
work (interacting with screen, keyboard and mouse, TCP/IP networking; it is
the less used components that are the problem - interaction with async
ports, perhaps database access components and worst of all drivers for USB
hardware, that will throw up the time consuming or insoluble problems).

My 2p worth - I have no connection with James, Callum or the proposed
program (and I don't use Linux regularly for the above reasons - I have
enough problems with MS!).

Jim G3VDB