[UK-CONTEST] Beta Testers Wanted

Clive Whelan clive.whelan at btinternet.com
Wed Jan 14 08:35:08 EST 2009

Sadly you're right Roger, if only because there is no viable Linux
contest logger. Martin/OK1RR and his oppo. OK2CQR do have a promising
start in CQRlog, but it's more of a general logger than a contest one at
present, and it certainly won't hack the microHam protocols, despite
Jozef/OM7ZZ giving his support, and- I suppose- speaking the same
language +/-? All other applications that I can envisage are catered for
at least as well or better than under Windows

The pros and cons of Linux , are that it is a vastly superior operating
system ( imo) to any Windows variant. The downside is that- in my
experience- the programmers are evangelistic and believe that everything
they produce has  a god given right to success, and anything tainted by
a commercial slant, is bad and must be cast into the wilderness. Whilst
users of N1MM and Logger 32 know that there is a new paradigm in Amateur
radio software, viz there IS such a thing as a free lunch, yet
paradoxically the lack of a commercial slant to Linux tends to blunt its
technological leading edge, or so it seems to me.

I am equivocal as to what will happen to Linux in the grander scheme of
things, but as a born again cynic fear that powerful vested interests (
read Microsoft) will ensure that it remains a minor player in the
market; I wish it were not so.

73

Clive
GW3NJW