[UK-CONTEST] Antenna height on 70cms

Ray James gm4cxm at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 1 04:27:05 PDT 2009

--- On Wed, 1/7/09, MM0BQI <MM0BQI at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> I have two options for mounting my
> 18ele 70cms antenna this weekend.  Site is on the
> highest point of a rounded hill with reasonably clear take
> off.
> 1.  5m above ground with a 10m run of Wesflex
> 2.  10m above ground with 20m of Westflex
> Does the additional height cancel out the feeder losses or
> is higher always better?
> Thanks
> Jim,  MM0BQI

Hi Jim,
You're only adding an additional approximate .375db of loss at the greater height so that's what I would run with to get the antenna that bit clearer of the ground. If it's only a "reasonably clear take off" then height will be more important for directions that are not optimal.

73 Ray GM4CXM