[UK-CONTEST] Antenna height on 70cms

Callum MØMCX callum at mccormick.uk.com
Wed Jul 1 11:03:28 PDT 2009

Two facts to bear in mind.

1) Henry quoted me losses for Westflex at 70cms as 7.5db per 100 meters.
Your losses may be a lot greater than advertised by James. I would be
tempted to go for a 5m pole with a 10m coax run if I had to. The real world
difference, assuming good take-off  at a good site between the two is hardly
measurable.

2) Last month, I conducted a real-world test comparing of 25 meters of
Westflex at 70cms -vs- 30 meters of Ecoflex 15. The difference between the
two was staggering. A local station on the Westflex at S1 became S7 on the
EcoFlex 15 using a TS2000 on FM. White dusty noise on the Westflex was fully
quietening on the EcoFlex. My TX signal also shot up.

In contrast, the differences at 144mhz was pretty negligible (an S point or
so) which led me personally to believe that using Westflex for anything over
2m was a waste of time.

EcoFlex 15 is *only* £5.80 per meter (!) currently with matching N-Types at
£10 a throw. So an expensive hobby for some.

Callum McCormick
http://www.m0mcx.co.uk/
Yahoo Groups:
t: 07976 631881