[UK-CONTEST] Valid QSOs

Ray James gm4cxm at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jun 11 07:16:18 PDT 2009

--- On Thu, 11/6/09, Paul O'Kane <pokane at ei5di.com> wrote:

> Yes - that is the format of the vast majority of
> DXpedition and contest QSOs.  If you both used amateur-band RF,
> and both logs correspond, then it's a valid QSO.
>
> 73,
> Paul EI5DI

No - just because "that is the format of the vast majority of DXpedition and contest QSOs" does not validate them in relation to contest rules or the opinions of experienced operators. It's also bugger all to do with "If you both used amateur-band RF". You're being conveniently opinion fluid when it comes to the validity of incomplete exchange of HF contest contact information when taken in the light of your "it's invalid" views of VHF+ contest contacts arranged by schedule, even when all necessary information including both callsigns are passed over the air.
I would even go so far as to say that software writers like yourself share a vast proportion of the blame by producing contest software that doesn't automatically include both callsigns in a contest exchange.
And before you consider raising the point of a call being at the beginning and end, a CQ or TEST call is a general call to all and not part of a contact, a TU EI5DI Test is a thank you to end the contact followed by another general call to all and not part of the contest exchange.

From the RSGB HF Contest Rules
4. Contacts:
(a) A contact consists of an exchange with incrementing serial number commencing from 001 and ACKNOWLEDGEMENT of receipt of callsign and contest data. The full contest exchange must be sent to all stations worked.

RSGB VHF+ Contest Rules
4. Contacts

a. The contest exchange consists of at least both callsigns, RS(T) signal reports followed by a serial number, and the IARU locator.

To Quote GM3WOJ/ZL1CT (Contesting)

Logging.    The first thing to be clear about is what constitutes a QSO - it is generally accepted that both callsigns and both reports have to be exchanged and acknowledged to complete a QSO.

73 Ray GM4CXM...who had 79 invalid contest contacts last night including one with G3XTT :-)
On the other hand, the night before I had a perfectly valid and complete "over RF" contact with PA5DD during 70cm UKAC and that disqualifies me from entering because it was arranged via ON4KST and there is no "assisted" category in which I can enter and fully support the contest.