[UK-CONTEST] July Radcom - BERU / Old Gits

David Barber david.barber at dbelectronics.co.uk
Sun Jun 28 06:51:30 PDT 2009

Few things annoy me more than the recourse to 'volunteer' status as a
justification or excuse for inadequacies of whatever nature.

For any environment, yes we should be mindful of their (the volunteers) good
work, perhaps even humbled by a few, but refrain from passing constructive
criticism or drawing attention to errors, or just the plain stupid, we
should not.  Volunteering for a job does not exonerate one from criticism
nor does it grant the right to ignore the input of other interested parties.

If no one makes an observation, how are things to be addressed or moved on?
Do we just assume that the volunteer will 'get round to it' at some point or
do we, with the best intentions, provide input on which they can build?

Too often the 'volunteer' excuse is used in conjunction with 'if you think
you can do better...'  Expressing an opinion or making a suggestion does not
signify an attitude of superior capability nor does it (in most cases)
suggest a personal attack, it is merely something we are all entitled to do,
something we should consider of others and a right for which we should all
be grateful.

David
G8OQW