[UK-CONTEST] Contest calls and 'regional locators'

Clive Whelan clive.whelan at btinternet.com
Thu May 28 10:05:40 PDT 2009

Stewart

This is bending your thread somewhat for which apologies, but I do think
the point is valid. A more pertinent question about regional identifiers
might be why the GC prefix is not used for Cymru ( Wales) period, or at
least that either/or is an option for licencees in the Principality ( I
am old enough to remember when G or GW was an option in Monmouthshire) .
The function is not ( presently) devolved of course otherwise I feel
sure this would already be the case. I suspect that it is already  the
case for our Scottish colleagues, but having no knowledge of their
language I am not sure.  After all it's  a PITA having to extend our
already unwieldy calls by another letter ( hey Colin, whatever happened
to  short contest calls for individuals of which there was recently much
ado?) compared to our English cousins, and so it might as well be
linguistically appropriate.

Whoa, wait a minute C is a dot longer than W, let's forget the whole
thing ;-)

Nah w.t.h. let's do it anyway!

Hwyl fawr

73