[UK-CONTEST] Weekday contests

Ed -- GW3SQX g3sqx at EdTaylor.org
Wed Oct 7 03:03:21 PDT 2009

The series of evening contests run by the Contest Committee seem to be
getting more and more popular.  They take place on various days during the
week on 80m, 6m, 4m, 2m, and 70 cms.  Whether they will encourage people to
join the big boys in "real" weekend contests is debatable, although there's
some evidence that they are having an effect.  But it's worth having a look,
to see what's on and who you can work (some continentals are also joining in
the fun, by the way).

I tried 2m yesterday evening, with an small Yagi that had last been used in
anger about 20 years ago -- I got it 15 feet up on a rickety pole fixed so
it beamed east from here in South Wales.  There was plenty of activity
during the two and a half hours, and I heard serial numbers of over 100 -- a
surprising rate for VHF!  I didn't do quite so well, having also to fit in
eating, drinking and some phone calls.  The 6m event a couple of weeks ago
was also busy, although reports on 70cm suggest this band is not so
popular -- I suspect that casual entrants who use the 2m and 6m facility
available on some HF rigs do not have the same capability on 70cm.

Anyway, if you are an HF operator looking for something to do in between the
evening 80m club contests, you could do worse than join in the VHF/UHF
evenings.  Or vice-versa, of course!  I find some of the operators on VHF to
be a bit ponderous, so maybe one or two HF operators with a little-used VHF
or UHF beam could show them how it's done.  But never forget to say "73"
after each QSO, just to be polite!

73,

Ed, GW3SQX