[UK-CONTEST] RSGB 21/28 MHz Contest

brian coyne g4odv at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 7 14:25:55 PDT 2009

Sorry to be out of date with my knowlege of the CC members, apologies for remarking that none appeared on air. Obviously I got out of bed the wrong side that morning but I just could not hide my disappointment at the poor turnout, particularly on ssb.

There have been some good followup posts with a concensus that some things should change if this event is to survive.

First and foremost there has to be more activity from UK stations, as has been pointed out this is the remaining hf international contest supported by RSGB, surely worth a big effort to retain it. Hfcc have focused, very successfully, in recent years on domestic events and bringing new blood into the fold. To what ultimate purpose? I would have thought that it was to go on to the higher demands of international competition and raise the profile of UK competitors. To enter the 21/28 mhz event would seem to be a logical progression. Similar publicity and energy given to promoting the 80m series could work wonders for this one. Get the clubs interested. Was this mentioned on RSGB newscast?, make it a task for a CC member to brief outlets such as the news service.

As has been mentioned activity breeds activity. Guys don't need to spend a full 12 hours, just get on and do what you can, let us hear again the VHB's, SJJ's, BUO's etc. There is a big contest apetite out there who, if they can get a couple of dozen big guns in the log, will then perservere to spend some time looking for the little pistols.

Existing 'G' entrants could consider, especially in poor propagation years doing a mixed mode entry to boost the activity, saving the contest may be a little more important than individual honours and it will still be fun.

Historically RSGB have been against throwing open the doors to overseas entrants to work other non 'G' stn's. Making a change to allow those contacts would, in my view, be the saving of this contest, previous mention of the YO contest in this thread supports that belief. A study of other society rules could provide a winning formulae. Give extra points for contacts with UK stns or just make UK districts the only mult's.

Hfcc must have a huge database of overseas contest ops from past contests, particularly IOTA. Individual mails to those stns by way of a personal invitation to take part in a revamped 21/28mhz contest would produce big dividends. Think how attractive a 12 hour event on a dx band would be if guys know that they can call all that they can hear. Uniques could be dealt with along the lines of RDX and some others where contacts with stns who make less than 5 contacts and do not submit a log are discarded.

Lots of options to consider, let us now hope that Committee will put it on the agenda.

73  Brian 5B4AIZ.