[UK-CONTEST] Fulton K2550 Winch Spares - Information and Warning

John Crowder g0gdu at hotmail.co.uk
Wed Oct 14 16:24:50 PDT 2009

Thanks to all who responded to my earlier request. In September 2008 Jan G0IVZ wrote under the heading [UK-CONTEST] UK-Contest Digest, Vol 69, Issue 40 that Fulton spares are available from Bushey Hall Winches http://www.busheyhallwinches.co.uk/.

My recent experience with Bushey Hall Winches (BHW) suggest that they carry very few spare parts stock and perhaps prefer to sell new winches.

After initially enquiring of Fulton early in September 2009 about stockists of spare parts in the UK, I was pointed in the direction of BHW. My initial contact with BHW about replacement friction discs for a K2550 winch brought me an electronic copy of a K2550 User guide which lists all the component parts.

The friction disc kit supplied contained two discs of different materials unlike those fitted to my winch which are both of the same material. After querying this with BHW they were adamant that the correct parts had been supplied. Further enquiries with Fulton revealed the discs supplied (part number 1578S00) were exclusively for the K2550 1735 model winch which is not apparently the same as the K2550 winch fitted to my tower.

After 5 weeks I still do not have replacement friction discs as it would appear that BHW do not stock the correct item (part number 2357S00)..
If you are looking to buy replacement spare parts from BHW by all means try them but be prepared for a delay of up to 12 weeks before you get what you want as most parts are apparently shipped in to order from the states. Also be sure you know which model of the K2550 winch you own otherwise you may get the wrong items.

Due to all the hassle of trying to get spares for my existing winch I decided to buy a replacement winch and then to refurbish my old model once the required parts were available.

Having looked at the price of a Fulton K2550 I decided instead to purchase a Dutton-Lainson B2550G winch which of similar specification to the K2550 and has the advantage that the friction discs and most gears are enclosed to protect them from adverse weather conditions.  Another advantage is that price paid is significantly less than that charged for a K2550. Dutton-Lainson winches are available from a number of UK retailers including Trailertek who offer a good service at competitive prices - contact Karl Edan (karl at trailertek.com).

John G0GDU