[UK-CONTEST] Proposed change to UK Activity Contest

Eddie G0EHV g0ehv at btinternet.com
Tue Oct 20 06:04:09 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ray James" <gm4cxm at yahoo.co.uk>
To: "UK Contesting" <uk-contest at contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:38 PM
Subject: [UK-CONTEST] Proposed change to UK Activity Contest

> Hi all,
> Rather surprised to receive an invitation to participate in an RSGB CC
> survey for a possible change to the start time of the 2010 UK Activity
> Contests in my in-box this morning, which I have answered.
>
> The surprise emanates from it being quite late in the day for a survey for
> the 2010 calender when balanced against previous commentary that rules
> were agreed early to accommodate publication in forthcoming yearbooks.
> I for one would welcome some clarity from the CC regarding the real
> cut-off point in any particular year when they will accept suggestions to
> improve UK contest rules.
>
> The survey is in response to the increasing number of portable stations
> entering UKAC's, enabling them to pack up earlier.
> They currently represent 10% to 15% of the total entrants.
> The duration of 2.5 hours is unchanged though a reduction to 2 hours
> wouldn't go amiss in my opinion.
>
> The main change to I would like to see would be the cessation of a square
> multiplier when working non-UK stations in the "UK" Activity Contests.
> The current rules make the 2m, 70cm, 23cm and 13cm monthly sessions unfair
> to the majority of the UK and heavily biases the east and south east of
> England to the detriment of the rest of the UK. The south east already
> benefits from being closer to EU activity enabling more potential contacts
> without compounding this advantage with additional multiplier rewards.
> As there appears time to consider start/finish changes, they'll be the
> same window of opportunity to consider this one.
>
> 73 Ray GM4CXM

Hello Ray,

I didn't get a survey email but I tend to agree with your points.
I operate 100% /P for these events from IO94 or IO84 on all bands 50-432 MHz
(but not every one each month!).

As far as start and end times go I'd welcome an earlier start, say 1930 and
a finish at 2200. Duration is about right at 2.5 hrs for me.
Usually I get home about 2330 when using the closest /P site, around
midnight if using the other.
Maybe stick to the later finish in summer and earlier in winter, the dark
nights are bad enough when taking down the aerial but setting up in the dark
is far worse!

The square multiplier does, as you say, helps the stations in the South and
East but hey - we have a less noisy band, minimal QRM and can hear the DX -
if we get the propagation so far North!

Regards,
Eddie
G0EHV