[UK-CONTEST] CQWW SSB - Some thoughts

David, G3YYD g3yyd at btinternet.com
Tue Oct 27 03:19:04 PDT 2009

I agree with James G0FHM that OZ was very difficult to work on 20m from
St. Albans. Not that easy on 15 or 40 either. ON/PA/LX were worked
mainly on back scatter while OH/SM/LA were direct. OZ back scatter was
obviously not working and the skip zone was landing in the Baltic rather
than in OZ. I also noticed that DL was often weak but the odd one was
strong. I assume the strong ones must have been on the far side of Germany.

I agree about some of the Eastern/South Eastern EU stations just opening
up. I noticed some of them were 10dB above many others from the area. I
do not think it was 100w versus 1500w either. I think it was more a
legacy  from the days when the military supplied the kit. One was 50dB
over S9 on 20m with the pre-amp off that is about -13dBm.

I too was using a K3 and unlike my FT1000MP I never detected any signs
of overload and it performed admirably.

David G3YYD