[UK-CONTEST] CQWW SSB - Some thoughts

Roger G3SXW g3sxw at btinternet.com
Tue Oct 27 11:04:00 PDT 2009

Hello James,
The 'bully boys' from zones 15 + 16 + 20 have played it this way for many
years. Yes, CQ mag does care but until now the multi-kilowatt amplifiers
have been untouchable. The new 'Visitation' rule could perhaps identify some
of these monster amplifiers or perhaps scare some of them off. But please
remember that this problem is especially suffered by those located at first
hop distance from e.g. Hungary, Bulgaria, i.e. UK, especially when they are
beaming towards USA. It's quite hard to persuade those located in other
parts of the world just how damaging it is to UK contesting.

We find sometimes that an e-mail from CQWW Committee helps: we directly ask
a station if they were abiding by rule x. We could ask these stations if
they were transmitting with max 1.5kw per band, as in the rules. At very
least this would let them know that we are on to them. Perhaps those on this
list who suffer from this problem would care to nominate (to me privately if
you prefer) the stations to whom such a letter be sent.

Anyway, keep smiling. We'll crack it one day!
73 de Roger/G3SXW.