[UK-CONTEST] CQWW SSB - Some thoughts

Steve Reed steve at explore.plus.com
Wed Oct 28 16:09:05 PDT 2009

Can't resist putting in a word for 10m - so often an under-estimated band!

I worked 740 (ish) Qs in 91 countries and 21 zones (all continents) on 10
this weekend - and I'm sure an assisted station or one running power would
have had little difficulty in doing better.  I agree with Dave: I didn't
work 3W, 9M2, HC8, YB9, etc via Es.  No doubt there was some mixed mode
Es+F2 about, but that can't easily explain the (short) Far East openings
that occurred on both days: on Saturday this was before the Es openings into
Europe, so unlikely to be mixed mode.

Major contests bring out well-appointed stations and top operators whose
activities expose the short-comings of 'standard' propagation expectations.
In CQWW (with its equinox proximal date) you really don't need much solar
flux to get results.

Steve, G0AEV