[UK-CONTEST] RX performance

Clive Whelan clive.whelan at btinternet.com
Thu Oct 29 03:38:39 PDT 2009

I don't think you missed it Ken, and I didn't mention it because I
assume it is a given.

However in case that's not the case for newer contesters, only use your
NB or any other add-on device of that ilk in when absolutely necessary
as the effect on IMD is likely to be dire.

In case it also slips under the radar, disable as much pre-amplification
as possible. My own rig ( IC756PROIII) may not be typical, but on
3.5,7&14Mhz all pre-amps are disabled. On 21Mhz in current conditions
pre-amp 1 is enabled and on 28Mhz preamp 2 is sometimes used. However
when there are a few sunspots I even disable all preamps on 21Mhz.

 G9BF ( sadly now SK) used to opine that one should use max. urge in
P.A. and max. length of wire in antenna, but if he were around today he
would be better advised to recommend min. pre-amplification and moderate
attenuation in the rx front end ;-)

73

Clive
GW3NJW