[UK-CONTEST] RX performance

Ken Eastty ken.g3lvp at btinternet.com
Wed Oct 28 15:45:36 PDT 2009

Unless I've missed it no one appears to have  mentioned that noise
blankers frequently degrade the strong signal handling performance of
some receivers, it's always worth switching the NB off as well as
attenuators on to see whether this reduces the unwanted effects that
very strong signals have.
Speaking of strong signals the 'Cobra Mist' OTHR built out on the
Suffolk coast in the ~1970's had a very large array of log periodics
which I think were far more impressive than the 'very large antenna'.
The transmitter was reputed to have an O/P power of 10MW, some years ago
I went inside the transmitter building which then housed a BBC world
service 100kW (?) medium wave TX, this just occupied one small corner of
the building. It was said that when Cobra Mist was operating Notices to
Mariners warned that ships venturing closer than 3 miles to the
installation might find that their rigging would catch fire!
Of course this might have been a ploy to keep the Russian 'trawlers'
away, apparently it didn't work.

73...

Ken

G3LVP