[UK-CONTEST] STROKE QRP SHOULD I LOG IT?

Dave Sergeant dave at davesergeant.com
Sun Apr 11 05:26:18 PDT 2010

On 11 Apr 2010 at 12:05, Gordon Brown wrote:

> I'm sure someone has come up with a definition of QRP.  In 1964 I became
> a member of QRP Amateur Radio Club - certificate number 1757 which
> states a power level of 100 Watts or less.

The 'official' definition of QRP, accepted by CQ, ARRL, GQRP and other
QRP societies is 5W RF output, as has been the case for many years. If
you want to enter the QRP sections of the major contests or claim QRP
awards from QRP organisations then that is the power you use. GQRP use
10W for SSB, but they are alone in doing this.

Sadly RSGB although it follows this rule for some contests does not for
all of them - eg the 'QRP' sections of NFD and the 80m CC have a power
limit of 10W.

100W is most definitely not QRP, and likewise calling 100W 'Low Power'
is nonsense in any country other than Killowatt Alley.

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com