[UK-CONTEST] Phonetics

Keith Maton g6nhu at me.com
Mon Apr 12 10:35:09 PDT 2010

If anyone can suggest phonetics that stop people swapping the first two letters of my callsign then I'd love to know.

When I operate from home and use S&P during contests I would say that probably 30-40% of the time I will call with a strong clear voice, making sure I enunciate my callsign properly using standard phonetics and the reply will come back:

"Golf six *pause* hotel november uniform"

As soon as there's a pause I can pretty much be sure I'm going to have to correct the other person.

An alternatives that has exactly the same effect is Germany six Norway Honolulu United.

I've not tried the localised Essex version yet of Galleywood six Nevendon Harwich Upmister but I think that'd just cause even more confusion :)

73
Keith, G6NHU
Martello Tower Group, G0PKT