[UK-CONTEST] 80m antennas

g3ory at lineone.net g3ory at lineone.net
Thu Apr 22 13:52:02 PDT 2010

Hi Guys,

Ray G3HRH published an article in the RSGB Bulletin years and years
ago and included a ground conductivity map of the UK. However, it was a
pretty small scale affair and was never going to differentiate over a
few 100s of yards.

Measurements are not very easy but comparisons are.  If you use an 80m
ARDF receiver with the E field sense antenna in circuit with the loop,
rotate it so that the 'back lobe' is pointing at a vertically polarised
test TX. Then raise and lower the receiver. The height of minimum
signal is an indication of ground conductivity. The lower the better.
The highest I have observed was shoulder height in some German forest
where I was once competing. Lutterworth recreation ground is about
waist height and therefore significantly better.  The results are only
applicable to the one receiver since it is likely to have a unique
combination of loop size, E-field antenna size and active antenna gain.

73 Bob

London
>> Clay Belt (Thames) and the other wasn't. 73 de Roger/G3SXW.
>
>Can the geological maps tell you this to fine enough accuracy for
this?
>My house is built on sand - fortunately with good foundations - and
Top