[UK-CONTEST] The Internet-Remote-Contesting age arrives!

David Gould dave at g3ueg.co.uk
Mon Feb 1 01:46:04 PST 2010

Having been involved with remote operation in the UK for 10 years and
having built four remote systems I thought I would make a few comments.

There are two distinct scenarios
1) operating your existing home station when away from home
2) setting up a new station in a location that has benefits - eg
quieter for rx and bigger/better tx antennas, fewer neighbours

Operating in the first case is simply a matter of convenience for
those who have to travel away from home.
The following are a few bullet points about the second case

* A remote station still has to be (completely) within the boundary
rules of the contest.
* Think of it as just having very long headphone and mic/key leads.
* It confers *no* benefit that could not be obtained by travelling to
the site.
* In fact there are several downsides to a remote station - the main
one being latency which makes it more difficult to operate, and the
greater the distance the greater the latency.
* You need to be careful to stay within the licence conditions of the
place where the station is located, (not where it is being operated from)

As I see it, to have part of the station remote, and part at the
control location would be contrary to the boundary rules of the contest.

If you are building and maintaining the remote station yourself then
distance is also a big issue.  I have had to move my remote station
from 10 miles away to 65 miles away and the travelling is a real
PITA!!  Every day I visit the remote site I loose about 3 hrs in
packing and travelling.

73,
Dave, G3UEG