[UK-CONTEST] Remote possibilities...

Nigel G3TXF nigel at G3TXF.com
Mon Feb 1 02:36:18 PST 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: uk-contest-bounces at contesting.com
[mailto:uk-contest-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of
David Gould
Sent: 01 February 2010 09:46
To: UK Contest Reflector
Subject: Re: [UK-CONTEST] The Internet-Remote-Contesting age
arrives!

Having been involved with remote operation in the UK for 10
years and having built four remote systems I thought I would
make a few comments.

There are two distinct scenarios
1) operating your existing home station when away from home
2) setting up a new station in a location that has benefits
- eg quieter for rx and bigger/better tx antennas, fewer
neighbours

Operating in the first case is simply a matter of
convenience for those who have to travel away from home.
The following are a few bullet points about the second case

* A remote station still has to be (completely) within the
boundary rules of the contest.
* Think of it as just having very long headphone and mic/key
leads.
* It confers *no* benefit that could not be obtained by
travelling to the site.
* In fact there are several downsides to a remote station -
the main one being latency which makes it more difficult to
operate, and the greater the distance the greater the
latency.
* You need to be careful to stay within the licence
conditions of the place where the station is located, (not
where it is being operated from)

As I see it, to have part of the station remote, and part at
the control location would be contrary to the boundary rules
of the contest.

If you are building and maintaining the remote station
yourself then distance is also a big issue.  I have had to
move my remote station from 10 miles away to 65 miles away
and the travelling is a real PITA!!  Every day I visit the
remote site I loose about 3 hrs in packing and travelling.

73,
Dave, G3UEG

At 08:30 01/02/2010, Rob - G4LMW wrote:
>Interesting Nigel
>
>Is it me, or does anyone else feel that the operator should
be within a
>reasonable distance of the station?
>
>Maybe I'm just old-fashioned?
>
>73, Rob
>G4LMW
>http://www.G4LMW.co.uk

arrives!

> > The last weekend in January is traditionally busy for
> > contesters with several contests running in parallel
> > including the CQWW-CW-160m and the REF-CW. However the
ever
> > interesting postings on 3830 reveal that the "internet
> > remote contesting" age has really arrived.
> >
> > There's a W4 (sitting in a warm shack in Florida or
> > somewhere?) who has entered the REF-CW Contest was
F/WA4PXP
> > and the CQWW-160m Contest as DL/WA4PXP through separate
> > remote stations in France (F4JRC) and Germany (DJ3AA).
> > Presumably somewhat tongue in cheek, Jim WA4PXP comments
> > "Operating in Europe is non-stop action" !
> >
> > Standby for the brave new world of "internet remote
> > contesting"?
> >
> > 73 - Nigel G3TXF
> >
> > PS : G3TXF remained very much in the old world of
Single-Op
> > unassisted for CQWW-CW-160m, netting 1,480 Qs, 73 DXCC,
49