[UK-CONTEST] Feb 144 UKAC

David G3YYD g3yyd at btinternet.com
Sat Feb 6 09:51:44 PST 2010

Humm

So if I spend £1M moving to a top class VHF QTH then that is OK. But if
I spend £1000 on building a higher ERP station then that is not OK and
should be penalised. A better QTH is worth a lot more points than going
from a single Yagi to a 4 Yagi stack at a poor QTH.

Extending Bob's argument we should have different categories for height
above sea level as well as power and ERP levels.

Extending it further why not have so many categories that everyone is a
winner.... Not so difficult with so few entries.

If CC on 80m is so popular and entries are growing year by year, it
shows there are plenty of contesters wanting to take part in CC contests
irrespective of their placing in the results.  Yet those same contesters
have deserted UKAC which is in decline. Conclusion is that contesters
find 80m CC a much more attractive contest to take part in than UKAC. No
point in tinkering with the scoring system when the basic problem is it
is not attractive to the majority of contesters. So surely the questions
to ask is how can UKAC be made attractive to CC contesters? Fiddling
with the scoring system will not achieve that. It needs a complete
rethink with lateral thinking not just more of the same ideas. I do not
see any real lateral thinking on how to make UKAC more attractive on
this reflector.

Incidentally on a personal not I do not operate UKAC but I do operate
CC. Quite frankly I find UKAC boring with little in the way of
intellectual challenge unlike CC.

David G3YYD