[UK-CONTEST] General Rules

Colin colin at g3psm.net
Sun Feb 7 09:57:47 PST 2010

Ray and Bob,

As one of those involved with the recent "simplification" of the licence
conditions I can confirm that the /A was reintroduced at the behest of a
number of licensees.   The recommendations to the use /A, /M, /MM and /P
are contained in clause (d) to the notes to the licence and are not
mandatory.   The reasoning behind this is because such suffixes are not
in the Radio Regulations.

The definitions of the suffixes are specified in clause 17(1) of the
licence document itself -

     (b) "Alternative Address" means a fixed postal address in the
United Kingdom other than the main station address.
     (x) "Mobile" means the radio equipment is located in the United
Kingdom:
          i) in or on any vehicle or conveyance;
          ii) on the person of the licensee where the licensee is a
pedestrian, or
         iii) on any vessel  on inland waters.
     (v) "Maritime Mobile" means the radio equipment is located in any
vessel at sea
     (jj) "Temporary Location" means a fixed location in the United
Kingdom which is not a main station address or an Alternative Address.

I'm not sure how the word "fixed" came to be in (jj) but I think it is
superfluous and could be removed.   I also tried to add "and not
connected to the  national grid" to (jj) but was not succesfull.   Never
mind the next revision in a couple of years time (after the Olympics)
may reflect these changes.

Despite meaning to be a simplification of the licence conditions
questions continue to be asked by licensees and I have been tasked to
produce a list of FAQs by Ofcom.   If anyone does have any burning
question(s) regarding the current licence conditions please let me know,
preferably off list.

73

Colin, G3PSM