[UK-CONTEST] General Rules

Ray Hills g3hrh at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 8 02:03:24 PST 2010

My (innocent?) enquiry has sparked off a usefu;l debate, with  opinion
seeming to be that some clarification is needed.  I can see that where there
are separate sections  in a contest it is (possibly) necessary to use a
suffix indicating which section the station is in.  And there the only
distinction appears to be between fixed and (truly) portable.  Operating as
a "guest" at another QTH still falls in the fixed section and should require
no
distinction.  But my original question really related to 144AC where the
only categories are by power and antenna used.  All it really needs is a
rule for the
144AC that General Rule 3(b) does not apply.  Incidentally that rule is not
logical as stations using a special contest call are not required to use the
/P suffix so they are not identified to a section of the contest.  Surely
this is a situation where common sense and usual practice should apply?  I
suggest that signing /P from a fixed station using e.g. AC power is not
usual practice or even sensible.

Ray G3HRH