[UK-CONTEST] Building and testing VHF antenna combiners

Eddie G0EHV g0ehv at btinternet.com
Sat Feb 13 09:06:39 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nick Gregory" <nickg0hik at googlemail.com>
To: <uk-contest at contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 13, 2010 1:27 PM
Subject: [UK-CONTEST] Building and testing VHF antenna combiners

> I have built a two way combiner for 70MHz, I wanted to check this out so I
> put a
> SWR meter on the input and placed loads on the two outputs, this gave me a
> very
> low SWR, surprisingly I disconnected one of the loads and SWR did not rise
> as
> much as I would have thought, something like 1.5 or 2 to one, I expected
> 3:1.
> Is there a better way to test out a combiner.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Nick G0HIK

Hello Nick,
That's how I tested my home brew 23cms 2 way splitter.
I then got it checked on M0DTS's network analyser with 2x50 Ohm loads and it
looked pretty good with a return loss of 22.54 dB (SWR 1:1.16)
and an impedance of 50.97 Ohm at 1296.3 MHz.

I built it with simple hand tools and a blowtorch into a bit of waveguide!

Regards,
Eddie
G0EHV