[UK-CONTEST] Mobile Towers (no contest content)

Ray James gm4cxm at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 18 05:17:14 PST 2010

--- On Thu, 18/2/10, Andy GD0TEP <andy at gd0tep.com> wrote:

> I never used the word MAST, or TOWER.
> AERIAL SUPPORT was the title of my application.

Similar story here in Bearsden, a leafy suburb just outside Glasgow though I don't live in the conservation area of the town so often featured in "Taggart"!

I called at my notifiable as well as some non-notifiable neighbours with a pre-prepared objection/no objection form for them to sign which included a brief on the aerial support. Also included a picture of a P60 from the Strumech brochure for them to see though it was in a retracted state.
I also provided a drawing of the aerial support and how it would look within my property. Drawing was never a strong point so the scale may not have been to professional standards but it provided a general idea.
No mention was ever made regarding what antennas would be used.
Only after I'd completed that exercise did I contact the local planning office and submitted the application accompanied by all the pictures, drawings and signed forms.
The application sailed through with a couple of minor conditions.
It was only after Chris 'WOJ helped me put the sections together, cable it and mount it on the post I had previously cemented in, then raise it, that one neighbour complained. That complaint was thrown out at a council hearing held at a later date.

In my opinion, working with the council is the best practise rather than trying to circumvent planning laws and perhaps in doing so effect the chances of other amateurs within the same jurisdiction gaining planning permission for their aerial supports in the future.

For pictures of my installation, visit http://www.rayjames.biz/gm4cxm/index.html

73 Ray GM4CXM